The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (IEDC) is an initiative of National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi. With an aim of develop institutional mechanism to create entrepreneurial culture in academic institutions to foster growth of innovation and entrepreneurship amongst the faculty and students.
Every year this centre is providing financial support to number of students for developing innovative products. Up to one lakh rupees for each idea. Apart from this financial support we are providing the mentoring and Infrastructural support for these projects.
Also this centre is arranging so many classes and camps to promote technology based innovation and entrepreneurship among the students.
Inspiration behind the starting of IEDC
- Our long-term goal is to create an engineering city of three hundred acres in area, owned by the management out of which the present campus occupies fifty acres and to develop a technological centre to uplift the rural community.
- Many of our students have shown consistent interest to get more knowledge about entrepreneurship to be competent in the modern world.
- Our students and teachers have been proving their talent in developing innovative products by winning several national level project contests and getting funds for product development from various research and development institutes around the nation.
- There are no other centers in our district or neighboring districts for guidance in the field of entrepreneurship.
- The scope of rural technology development is very high because our college is located in a rural setting with most people depending on traditional farming methods.
- Our management and empowered faculty members are trying to provide technology based solutions to the problems faced by the agrarian rural community and these efforts have been streamlined through IEDC.
Business Skill Development Programme
Business Skill Development Programme (BSDP) is a training programme which is being sponsored and supported by Ministry of Micro, Small Medium Enterprises (MSME), New Delhi. With an aim of encourage the students to start self employment ventures as Micro, Small or Medium enterprises which is instrumental for employment generation.
In association with various Government agencies and by utilizing the technical resources of Amal Jyothi College of Engineering, we have developed a lot of new innovative socially useful products. A few of the examples are mentioned below:
- Intelligent Light Dimmer: In this fast growing era a lot of accidents are reported due to the temporary blindness created due to the High beam of the headlight of the vehicles coming in the opposite direction. Amal Jyothi has taken this nationally important problem as a challenge and developed an automatic light dimmer which will actuate without the help of human interference. This project was supported and sponsored by Government of Kerala.
- Automated Rubber tapping machine: Kerala is a state having vast areas of rubber cultivation and all are facing huge labor shortage to tape the tree. To overcome this crises Amal Jyothi is developing an Automated Rubber tapping machine in association Rubber Research Institute of India (RRII)
- Coconut Climbing Machine: Department of Industries and Commerce, Govt. of Kerala has organized a national wide competition for developing Coconut Climbing Machine, to avoid the acute labor shortage in this field. Form this competition eight ideas were selected for product development, out of this two projects are for Amal Jyothi College of Engineering. Those are 1. Mr John Jose Pattery, final year Mechanical Engineering. 2. Mr. Zacharias Mathew, Chief Technical officer.
- Robo for Bore Well Rescue: A robot for rescuing children from tube well has developed by our students, this project is funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi, Govt. of India.
- Pedal Powered Inverter: We developed an inverter which use mechanical power to charge the battery of the inverter, source of this mechanical power is pedaling of an exercises cycle, this project is funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi, Govt. of India.
- Digital pre paid energy meter: This is an energy meter which can charge like a pre paid mobile and can control number of energy meters from one central station. This will help for energy conservation also. This project is funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi Govt. of India.
- Driver’s Assistant: To make the drivers more alert about road sign boards our students have developed new equipment. Which is funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi, Govt. of India.
- Internet Radio: With an aim of promoting internet communication our students has started one internet radio which will be converted in to a technical knowledge source within a short span of time. This programme is taking place in association with Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi, Govt. of India.